End of Summer To-Do List for Your Home!
No matter what stage of life you may happen to find yourself in, we can all agree that there are always things "to-do" around the home. Do you ever feel like you are so busy with the hustle and bustle of daily life that some of your home-related "to-do" list items have gone by the wayside?
Summer is flying by and soon the kids will head back to school. If you haven't quite finished your summer to-do list, here are a few more things to consider adding to it.
Keep Your Appliances in Good Working Order
The comforts of today's home certainly can make life much easier, but only if everything is in working order. Appliances can be your best friend or your worst enemy, depending on how you treat them.
Extend the life of your washer and dryer by cleaning them regularly and emptying the lint filter. Check the seal on your oven door for cracks or frayed edges to create maximum cooking power.
Here are a few other appliance-related tasks you may want to add to your seasonal to-do list:
- Clean the dryer lint filter with a mild detergent. This will keep it functional, allowing air to flow.
- Remove and clean out your dryer exhaust duct to decrease your chances for home fire
- Don't overload cleaning appliances with too much laundry or too many dishes
- Depending on the type of washing machine you have, choose appropriate detergents
- Run an empty dishwasher with just a cup of white vinegar in the top rack - this will help neutralize lingering odors
- Make sure that outlets are appropriate voltage level for the appliances you have
- Replace drip pans on your stove and never cover with foil
Create a Calendar Alert for Certain Tasks
There are certain tasks that must be completed over and over again in the home. Create a schedule or calendar alert for replacing air filters, smoke alarm batteries and fire extinguishers.
If you have pets, create a schedule for washing their bedding or blankets. It's easy to feel like chores are piling up but when you create a calendar and stick to it, it becomes easier to tackle tasks regularly.
A new month or a new season is always a good time to check yourself and see what tasks or projects you might need to give a little bit of attention to around your home.
There is no shortage of tips around the home and it can get overwhelming if you don't develop a plan to manage everything. Hopefully these tips will remind you to take it one project at a time!