Celebrating Thanksgiving on the Outer Banks
With its temperate weather and beautiful scenery, the Outer Banks is the perfect place to gather together with friends and family to celebrate Thanksgiving! However, standing over a hot oven all day to cook a huge dinner while the rest of the family watches the parade may not be your idea of a fun holiday. Luckily, tons of local restaurants have decided to open their kitchens this Thursday and everyone is invited to come enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving feast! If you plan on going out for dinner this week, here are a few places you might want to check out:
Captain George’s Thanksgiving Buffet
Locals and visitors alike know that Captain George’s is a great place to visit for dinner, especially when you have family members with very different palates! This Thursday, bring the family out to enjoy classics like turkey with stuffing, ham, sweet potato casserole, corn, turkey gravy, collards, mac & cheese, and dinner rolls along with seafood favorites like crab legs, fried oysters, fried shrimp, steamed clams, and more! And don’t forget the pecan and pumpkin pie for dessert! View the complete menu.
- Location: 705 S. Croatan Hwy. Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948
- Reservations: n/a (just be prepared for potential waits at popular dining times!)
- Hours: 11:30 AM – 9:00 PM
- Cost: $47.99 for adults, $22.99 for kids aged 5-12, and $5.99 for kids ages 4 & under.
Jolly Roger Thanksgiving Feast
If you’re looking for an all-you-can-eat-style Thanksgiving feast, head over to Jolly Roger! Choose from menu items like she crab soup, traditional roasted turkey, honey glazed ham, mashed potatoes, traditional dressing, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce, marshmallow candied yams, green beans, baby carrots and fresh homemade roles! There will also be a selection of seasonal pies and apple dumplings for dessert! The bar is open all day. View the complete menu.
- Location: 1836 N. Virginia Dare Trl. Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948
- Reservations: Accepted
- Hours: Wednesday, 11/24/21 1:00 PM – 11:00 PM & Thursday, 11/25/21 1:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Cost: $21.95 per person ($7.99/lb. & up for leftovers-to-go!)
Mulligan’s Grille Dinner
Mulligan’s Grille in Historic Cottage Row will be open all day on Thanksgiving! This is a great option for those family members who aren’t a huge fan of the traditional meal because Mulligan’s will also be serving an array of standard menu items like Coastal Carolina Lump Crab Bisque, Southern Cali Fish Tacos, Authentic Greek Salad and Fried Flounder Dinner, just to name a few! But don’t worry if you are craving turkey—Mulligan’s also has a “Turkey Dinner with all the Fixin’s” available including roast turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, sweet potato casserole, collars, green beans, cranberry sauce, and cornbread with a choice of bread pudding or pumpkin pie! View the complete menu.
- Location: 4005 S Croatan Hwy. Nags Head, NC 27959
- Reservations: Accepted for dine-in or carryout up to 48 hours in advance.
- Hours: 11:00 AM – 9:00 PM
- Cost: $28 for the Turkey Dinner with all the Fixin’s entrée; other menu item prices vary
NC Coast’s Thanksgiving
NC Coast Grill & Bar in Duck offers delicious southern coastal cuisine so you know that the Thanksgiving a la carte-style menu is sure to please (plus, food will be served on rustic wooden boards to reflect the season!) To start, try the NC Coast Seafood & Bison Sausage Gumbo, Baby Beet Salad or Southern Caesar Salad. The main event includes a chef’s board presentation of items like Roasted Tom Turkey, Honey Mustard Glazed Ham, Wagyu Beef, Coastal Style Topped Oysters, Charred Raw Tuna, Crab Encrusted Mahi, Corn Bread Dressing, Currituck Collard Greens, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Gravy & more! You’ll love the tapas-style dessert board with traditional favorites! Seasonal signature cocktails are also available. View the complete menu.
- Location: 1184 Duck Rd. Duck, NC 27949
- Reservations: Accepted by texting (843) 291-1146
- Hours: 2:30 PM – 8:00 PM
- Cost: $60 for adults, $18 for children 12 & under (price includes soft drinks and coffee)
Ocean Boulevard 4-Course Celebratory Meal
Head over to Ocean Boulevard Bistro & Martini Bar in Kitty Hawk for an elegant 4-course meal on Thanksgiving! Choose your starter, salad, entrée & dessert for just $65 a person. Menu items include New England Mussels, Sautéed NC Shrimp, Autumn Bistro Salad, Spiced Butternut Squash Soup, Seared Sea Scallops, Grilled Blank Angus New York Strip, Mocha Crème Brulee and Pecan Tart with Bourbon-Maple Ice Cream—just to name a few! View the complete menu.
- Location: 4700 N Virginia Dare Trl. Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
- Reservations: Available by calling (252) 261-2546.
- Hours: 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Cost: $65 per person; $30 3-course menu available for Children under 12
Owens’ Restaurant Thanksgiving 2021
For Southern Coastal Cuisine a la carte-style, head to Owens’ Restaurant in Nags Head! This is another great option for family members looking for something besides turkey as their main protein because offerings for Thursday’s feast include Herb Roasted Rockfish, Broiled Seafood Trio, Golden Fried NC Shrimp and Oysters, Filet Oscar, and Miss O’s Crabcakes. For the traditionalist, order the Thanksgiving Platter featuring herb-rubbed turkey breast, baked rockfish, fried oysters, seabreeze potatoes, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce, sage dressing and collard greens or the herb-rubbed turkey breast & Outer Banks honey ham combo featuring seabreeze potatoes, giblet gravy, collard greens, cranberry sauce and sage dressing. If you still have room after all that delicious food, try a scrumptious dessert of bananas foster bread pudding with buttered rum sauce, southern lemon pie, or pumpkin cheesecake! View the complete menu.
- Location: 7114 S Virginia Dare Trl. Nags Head, NC 27959
- Reservations: Required by calling (252) 441-7309
- Hours: 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Cost: Varies depending on menu item ordered.
Red Sky Café Thanksgiving Bounty
Enjoy a delicious Thanksgiving bounty at Red Sky Café! This feast is served buffet style and features both traditional American-style Thanksgiving cuisine alongside coastal-inspired fare. Main entrees include Seasoned Fire-roasted Tom Turkey with Giblet Gravy, Virginia Ham with Honey Mustard Glaze, Wagyu Sirloin with Mushroom Pan Gravy, Lump Crab-Stuffed Mahi with She Crab Cream Sauce, and County Fried Oysters with House Horseradish Cocktail Sauce. As if that wasn’t tempting enough, you’ll have a chance to sample a plethora of delicious sides like seafood gumbo, ginger wasabi seaweed salad, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, candied sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. Red Sky Café will also be offering traditional Thanksgiving desserts! Local craft beer, wine, and fall-themed cocktails will also be available for purchase. View the complete menu.
- Location: 1197 Duck Rd. Duck, NC 27949
- Reservations: Highly recommended by calling or texting (631) 601-7538
- Hours: 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Cost: $38 for adults & $18 for children 12 & under.
The Froggy Dog’s Thanksgiving Menu
If you’re down on Hatteras Island this Thursday, head to The Froggy Dog for a tasty Thanksgiving dinner! The entrée menu includes items such as turkey, ham, prime rib, and broiled or fried seafood trio so you can't go wrong with any selection. Sides range from green bean casserole and mashed potatoes with gravy to homemade stuffing and brown sugar maple carrots. Don’t forget a slice of pumpkin pie or cherry cobbler for dessert! View the complete menu.*
- Location: 40050 NC-12. Avon, NC 27915
- Reservations: Required by calling (252) 995-5550.
- Hours: 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Cost: $29.99 for adults and $15.99 for kids 12 & under for entrees; $2.79 for a la carte sides, $6.99 for soups.
- *Catering menu also available!