6 Smart Tips in Selling Your House for Top Dollar
- Establish the Right Sale Price – This is the first major step is selling your home. If you price your home too high, you will waste valuable time. If you set the price too low, you stand to lose money. By working with a professional Realtor® you will have access to many valuable tools. Being aware of changing market conditions as well as having access to the Multiple Listing Service, a Realtor® can help better achieve a fair and competitive sales price. There are many factors to consider when deciding on a sale price, such as;
- Find out how much your home is worth based on the current market conditions
- Is it a Buyer’s or Seller’s market?
- Buyers don’t care about how much you owe on the house, how much you need at closing, or what you feel it is worth.
- Choosing the Right Realtor – A listing contract with a Realtor is typically 6 months to a year, so you want to make sure you are committing to someone that you work well with. Interview at least two Realtors. Let them know they are competing for the listing & make them earn your business. This will allow you multiple professional view points at the start of the process & give you confidence that you are working with a professional that has the same goals & expectations as you.
- Finding a Qualified Buyer - A Realtor® has the ability to find buyers that are financially qualified to purchase your home. A Realtor® will place your listing on the Multiple Listing Service, maximizing the exposure of your home to qualified buyers who are represented by other Realtors. In addition to the MLS, a full service marketing plan will be used which, at a minimum, should include:
- Professionally taken photographs and video
- Drone video, if appropriate
- Impeccable print collateral
- Negotiating - A Realtor® will work with you and the buyer to successfully close the sale of your home. When a buyer makes an offer that is several thousand dollars less than your asking price, your Realtor® will advise you through the process of whether to remain firm or make a counter offer.
- Buyer Financing – Realtors® work closely with financial institutions on a daily basis. With their assistance your buyer will be able to obtain the financing that they need.
- Closing - A closing can be very overwhelming to both buyer and seller. There are many details to consider such as:
- Loan payoffs
- Title insurance
- Money due at closing
A Realtor® will be more capable of assisting your attorney and/or title insurance company in handling unexpected problems that may arise. It is comforting to have someone at the closing table to represent your interests and answer any questions you may have.