Ways to Help the Chaffee County Community
The holidays are traditionally a time for giving and this year, more than ever, giving to others is important.
In an effort to make giving in the Chaffee County community easier, here is a list of ideas for you. This isn’t a complete list of every organization in need of help, but I hope it makes helping others just a little easier for you.
Please share your ideas with me as well. (Comment here or email me at Monica@cprealty.com) I plan to update this list as more ideas and info come my way.
Happy Giving Everyone!
- Shop Locally for Your Christmas Gifts: Keep your spending in our community and help our small businesses stay open after this difficult year. And if you’re worried about crowds, many businesses are offering private shopping experiences. Just call ahead.
- Shovel Snow: Help neighbors in need (illness, elderly, kids at home in remote learning). And Ark Valley Helping Hands is organizing volunteers for this too. https://arkvalley.helpfulvillage.com/
- Give Gifts to Those in Need: Through Babas Magical Christmas, give gifts listed on various Giving Trees in businesses throughout Salida and BV. Little Red Tricycle, The Book Haven, Corvus Clothing & Curiosities, Salida Mountain Sports and Kaleidoscope Toys. Or donate online at https://www.chaffeecares.org/donate
- Donate Food: Clean out your pantry or buy extra the next time you’re at the grocery store. There are a number of places in Salida and Buena Vista that take non-perishable food donations. A few are:
- Grainery Ministries in Salida, 1348 E Street, 719-530-9050, http://thegraineryministries.org/
- Creekside Gathering Place in Buena Vista, 203 Cedar St. 719-221-6124
- Salida Community Center, 305 F Street, 719-539-3351, https://www.salidacommunitycenter.com/
- Donate Baby Items: The Pregnancy Resource Centers in Salida and Buena Vista accept unopened baby formula, baby clothes, diapers and other baby items.
- Salida location: 215 E. 3rd St. 719-539-7436, https://www.salidapregnancycenter.com/
- Buena Vista location:28350 CR 317, 719-395-6703, https://www.bvpregnancycenter.com/donate
- Donate Winter Clothes: The Chaffee County Resource Center (next to Caring & Sharing at 220 w. 4th St. Salida, 719-539-4849) accepts winter clothes, hats, gloves, etc. (as well as some food) for the homeless and needy. M-F 10 am-1pm
- Offer Your Unneeded Items To Others: You might have perfectly good stuff sitting around that could be very helpful to others. Ask your neighbors and community members what they need and give it to them for free. Here is a link to a kind person’s FB Group post coordinating this effort. Look through this list or start your own discussion on a Chaffee County Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/596888467044113/permalink/3654421431290786
- Donate to Local Nonprofits: Join many others by donating on Dec 8th Colorado Gives Day (Click this link to see all organizations in Chaffee County https://www.coloradogives.org/organizations?search_keywords=81201&search_region=-1&search_type=all&_rs=1856562982&search_county=1713&page=1) or just donate now.
Please share this list with your community members and please let me know what else you think would be valuable for me to add.
The Chaffee County community is amazing. Let's all work together to help one another!